Bible Passage: 2 Corinthians 5:1-15, Genesis 1:26-27
We want to become more like Jesus as we worship, grow, and serve.
- The Goal (Positive): “Pleasing to Him” (2 Cor. 5:9-10)
- The Goal (Negative): “No Longer Live for Themselves” (2 Cor. 5:14-15 )
- Becoming More Like Jesus: Worship, Grow, Serve
Thinking (What does the Word of God say, “Exegesis”?) Head:
- How would you summarize the train of thought from 2 Cor 5:1-15 in your own words?
- Try breaking it into 3 sections or paragraphs: vv.1-5, 6-10, 11-15.
- What word does the text use to describe temporary things? (See vv.1,2,4)
- What does Paul mean by “at home or away” in v.9?
- According to vv.14-15, why did Jesus die “for all”?
Attitude (My pattern of response to God and His Word, “Hermeneutic”) Heart:
- Pastor Jeremy talked about the male/female relationship in Gen. 1:26-27—why?
- What is success and who defines it? Why?
- What parts of your life are temporary like “tents”?
- Why does it make sense that you might be suffering/feel burdened? (See v.4)
- What parts of your life are permanent?
- How does this change the way you look at the “wins and losses” in your life? (See vv.10, 14-15)
Behaviour (How does Jesus want to change me, what will His truth look/sound like in my life? “Application”) Hands:
- How does the temporariness or permanence of the things in your life change what you do?
- List 3 permanent things in your life. Now list 3 temporary things in your life. Which of these things gets the most of your time/resources?
- What needs to change?
- Remember again why Jesus died “for all” (v.15) … What was worth Jesus’ time?
- What is really worth your time?
- What needs to change this week?