Bible Passage: Genesis 22:1-5
Responding to the Glory of God by making everything lesser in His presence.
- After these things: Renew the Mind (v. 1)
- Here I am: Engage the Heart (vs. 1-2)
- So Abraham Rose: Enlist the Body (vs. 3-5)
Thinking (What does the Word of God say, “Exegesis”?) Head:
- Where were we looking in God’s Word? Summarize it in your own words.
- Did you have any questions about certain words, the text, or what was said?
- What do you think God wants us to understand about this section of Scripture? What is the purpose of including it in the Bible (How does it point to Jesus)?
- What are some of the main events that take place in this section?
- What do “some” say about Jesus in verses 14-16?
- What were the circumstances around John’s imprisonment in verses 17-20?
- In what ways is Herodias’ request different than her daughter in verses 24-25?
Attitude (My pattern of response to God and His Word, “Hermeneutic”) Heart:
- List out all the emotions (responses of the heart) that are found in these 15 verses.
- Is/was your mother someone that sought to follow the gospel narrative of Jesus or the sinful desires of the heart? How has that affected you over the years? How has it affected your parenting?
- Has there ever been a time in your life when you over-exaggerated something in order to seek someone’s approval? Who was it and what did you do?
- Explain one way in which a desire became a constant thought, which led to an action in your life.
Behaviour (How does Jesus want to change me, what will His truth look/sound like in my life? “Application”) Hands:
- Identify one sinful desire that you have and then thoughts that constantly swirl around that thought and the actions it has led to. Come prepared to share.
- What “constant rehearsals” of our culture pull the most at your heart to fulfill sinful desire? (e.g. do what makes you happy; as long as no one gets hurt, it is okay, buy now and pay later; work is everything, etc.)
- How do you plan on combating these lies this week?